REGISTER. WATCH. LEARN. EARN CREDITS.
Review of Various Types of Insulation Materials Used in Buildings
Thermal performance of the building envelope has always been a priority for building designers and owners. Today’s requirements—based on the National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB)—do not specify which type of thermal insulation should be used, but rather indicate the minimum performance requirements based on U-values.
The selection of the insulation material used in roofs or exterior wall assemblies is a critical step in ensuring adequate thermal performance of the building. Various insulation types will be presented, along with their individual strengths when used in building construction. Conventional construction types will be reviewed in terms of their overall thermal performance.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES :
Understanding the concept of U-value and the difference between U-value, R-value, and effective R-value
Recognizing various thermal insulation types and identifying their individual strengths when used in building construction
Recognizing the impact of construction type on overall thermal performance
Get continuing education units
SUPERIOR INSULATION. COMPLETE SOLUTION.
POLYISOCYANURATE INSULATION PANELS
SOPRA-ISO insulation boards, engineered to provide improved thermal resistance, are made at our state-of-the-art, LEED® Silver manufacturing facility.
- Highest thermal resistance of all rigid insulation products
- High dimensional stability
- Technology that has proven itself over time
- Compatible with most solvents used in construction adhesives
EXTRUDED POLYSTYRENE PANELS
SOPRA-XPS is a closed-cell, strong and versatile foam insulation made of rigid flat panels. It is mainly used as thermal insulation for foundation systems, parking lots and inverted roofs, including rooftops and green roofs.
- Exceptional water and moisture resistance
- Superior initial and long-term thermal performance
- One of the highest compressive strengths on the market
CLOSED-CELL SPRAY-APPLIED POLYURETHANE FOAM
SOPRA-SPF is a high-quality product designed for interior and exterior insulation applications, whether commercial, industrial, or residential.
- Fast installation due to its monolithic shape without joints
- Can be used as both insulation and an air/vapour barrier
- Best resistance to mould
THERMAL AND ACOUSTICAL CELLULOSE INSULATION
SOPRA-CELLULOSE insulation is made of 85% post-consumer recycled newspapers. It acts as a protective shield to reduce the transmission of heat and sound. Efficient and environmentally friendly, SOPRA-CELLULOSE will reduce energy consumption and improve comfort under a wide range of climatic conditions.
- Highest thermal resistance of all blown insulation products
- Exceptional acoustical properties
- Excellent flame-retardant properties