A Revolution in Flameless Solutions LED By SOPREMA
Flameless solutions for SBS-modified bitumen roofs are not new on the market, but their technology has considerably evolved in recent years, and the product offering has been vastly diversified. The result? It now includes a wide range of products and assemblies for all types of roofing.
Until recently, the most popular application methods for SBS-modified bitumen low-slope roofs still involved hot asphalt and torch. At the time, the long curing times, odour, and high VOC (volatile organic compound) content of waterproofing membrane adhesives were all obstacles to their use, compared to other technologies available on the market.
A Benefit for All Types of Building
The manufacturing processes and composition of self-adhesive and cold-applied products have evolved considerably in recent years, which has revived interest in their use. These products offer many benefits:
- Adapted: Flameless solutions are getting more diversified and can now be used for all building types. Indeed, cold-applied products are an ideal solution for roof installation projects where the use of a flame is not permitted, such as hospitals, historic buildings and schools, or when work is done on combustible surfaces such as plywood. Very low VOC adhesives are a good option for roofs on permanently occupied buildings including airports, hospitals and food facilities, where solvent-based adhesives cannot be used.
- Safe: The use of self-adhesive and cold-applied products reduces the risk of fire associated with a blowtorch, as well as the risk of installers being burned. In addition, products with very low VOCs reduce the emissions of air pollutants that can affect the health of workers.
- Compliant: Flameless solutions are tested and meet the standards of the Canadian Standards Association (CSA A123.21).
- Cost-effective: The absence of open flames or hot kettles on a site can reduce project costs, including insurance fees.
- Environmentally friendly: Products with very low VOC content help reduce the emission of air pollutants.
- Fast: When considering all the steps to completion, from the equipment and material preparation to the cleaning and post-work monitoring, SOPREMA’s self-adhesive flameless systems allow savings on production time. These systems require fewer materials, in addition to eliminating the waiting time required to preheat the hot kettle. As opposed to a heat-welded application, the installation time is no longer limited by the bitumen liquefaction speed and the formation of a bitumen ball. The installer therefore has more leeway to perfect their installation technique and thus can offer superior performance.
SOPREMA'S Flameless Solutions
SOPREMA is a company engaged in the development of innovative products, technologies and installation methods, such as flameless solutions for SBS-modified bitumen low-slope roofs.
DUO SELVEDGE and SOPRAMATIC: Some membranes are equipped with DUO SELVEDGE, a unique technology designed and patented in 2004 by SOPREMA. The first centimetres are self-adhesive, which protects components under the base sheet from the torch flame. The rest of the selvedge is then sealed with hot air or the SOPRAMATIC, completely and safely. The SOPRAMATIC is a cart equipped with a hot air blower system. It ensures uniform and constant fusion. It is the ideal equipment for projects with a large surface area.
2-1 SOPRASMART ISO HD SANDED and 2-1 SOPRASMART BOARD SANDED These factory-laminated roof panels bring the support panel and a bitumen membrane together in the same product. Their quick and easy installation can be done all year round without temperature limitations, thanks to the DUO SELVEDGE technology. These panels can be mechanically fastened or bonded with DUOTACK adhesive. They are also now available in 3 ft × 16 ft sizes.
COLPLY EF and SOPRATACK: For projects where solvent-based adhesives cannot be used, SOPREMA offers cold-applied adhesives with very low VOC content (less than 35 g/L for COLPLY EF and 0 g/L for SOPRATACK) and with fast cure time, which allows optimal performance to be reached faster (a few days for COLPLY EF and 24 hours or less for SOPRATACK).
COLVENT BASE 840 and COLPLY BASE 410 : These base sheet membranes are composed of SBS-modified bitumen. COLVENT BASE 840 is semi-adhered directly to the SOPRA-ISO insulation board with primer using discontinuous adhesive strips. As for COLPLY BASE 410, its composite reinforcement offers incomparable dimensional stability and excellent resistance to puncture and tearing. Applied with adhesive (COLPLY EF or SOPRATACK), COLPLY BASE 410 is light and malleable.
SOPRAPLY STICK DUO: This base sheet membrane is composed of a composite reinforcement and SBS-modified bitumen. SOPREMA also developed a self-adhesive formula specifically designed for applications in cold weather. This product is available in a LT (low temperature) version for applications at temperatures above 0 °C (32 °F).
SOPRAPLY STICK TRAFFIC CAP and SOPRASTAR STICK GR: SOPRAPLY STICK TRAFFIC CAP is a self-adhesive cap sheet membrane made of a composite reinforcement and SBS-modified bitumen. This membrane is also available in a LT (low temperature) version for applications at temperatures above 0°C (32 °F). The surface of the SOPRASTAR STICK GR is covered with highly reflective granules, which reduces the heat absorbed by the system, lowers the surface temperature on the roof and contributes to obtaining LEED Sustainable Site Credit 7.2: Heat Islands Effect.
OUR LOW-TEMPERATURE SOLUTIONS : When the temperature-adapted installation methods are followed, the various SOPREMA solutions (COLPLY BASE 410 FLEX, COLPLY TRAFFIC CAP FLEX, SOPRATACK WINTER and SOPRATACK FLASHING WINTER) allow the installation of self-protected granular cap sheet membrane systems as well as protected membrane roof (PMR) systems in cold weather up to 14 °F (-10° C).
SOPREMA offers a wide range of flameless solutions for conventional roof systems as well as protected roof membrane (PMR) assemblies. Also note that SOPREMA Mammouth Platinum warranties are applicable to these systems.